Frequently Asked Questions*

When the German authorities ask you for the "Geburtsurkunde", the translation of the birth certificate and not the register of birth is usually required.

The Apostille is the seal affixed to public documents by the issuing state. For public documents issued in Germany (e.g. certificates of residence, tax certificates, certificates from schools for military purposes, etc.), you should contact the governmental district, the "Bezirksregierung"(e.g. or the relevant department of your state.

Please note: The Apostille cannot be issued on unsigned electronic documents. The document must be signed by a competent official.

Court documents (e.g. divorce, adoption, etc.) are the jurisdiction of the respective District Court (Landgericht) (e.g. The same District Court also issues the Apostille to be signed by the translator, if this is requested by a service.

For private documents (e.g. certificates of employment from private companies, employment contracts, tenancy agreements, etc.), you can visit a notary and request the issuance of a certified copy (beglaubigte Kopie) and then receive the Apostille for the notary to sign. For instance, this is done in case you are working at a private hospital and you cannot receive the Apostille from the Bezirksregierung.

Certificates of no impediment are issued by the municipality to which you belong in Greece.

You must complete an Application - Authorisation form ( at the Consulate (where the authenticity of your signature is validated) and send it to Greece (please visit

With this application, you authorise a friend or relative of yours in Greece to file the application and then receive the certificate of no impediment.